Schools in Canada for International Students

In Canada, every province as well as territory has the authorization of its own system related to education. You can get further information related to schools as well as the education system upon contacting:

  • The ministries as well as the departments that are responsible for education in every province as well as territory
  • The Canadian Bureau for International Education
  • EduCanada regarding information related to the international students for education in Canada, along with study program search, costs, etc.

Learn what you must know before you select a school.

Primary as well as secondary schools

Schools that provide education to students till grade 12 level are called primary and secondary schools. Primary generally means grades between 1 to 8 and secondary generally means grades between 9 to 12.

All primary as well as secondary schools in Canada enroll the international students. You should know what minor children have  to study in Canada. All these are also classified as schools in Canada for international students.

Post-secondary schools (universities, colleges, vocational schools, CEGEPs)

Post-secondary schools are as under

  • colleges
  • universities
  • private career colleges
  • vocational and technical schools

Every post-secondary school frames its set of rules regarding applications, and this includes English level or level of French as acceptance requirements.

In case you go for a study permit and your acceptance letter is from an institution that is not a designated institute for international students, your application will be rejected. It is better to get full knowledge of schools in Canada for international students before you start. 

You can get further details regarding post-secondary schools as under:

  • Universities Canada

 You can check profiles about Canadian universities, a big study programs database and seek help from them regarding planning of your university education

  • Colleges as well as Institutes in Canada

Check profiles about colleges as well as institutes

  • Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials

 You can get information regarding assessment of your past education as against Canadian standards

  • National Association of Career Colleges

Get information about schools that teach trades as well as vocations. All this will be part of your knowledge gathering related to schools in Canada for international students.

Private career colleges

Provincial governments have the authority to regulate private schools in a different manner for various study programs. Ensure that the private school where you are applying is in the designated learning institution (DLI) list.

Language schools

There are various schools in Canada teaching English as well as French as a second language. Provincial governments have the authority to regulate language programs in public institutions.

Many provincial governments do not regulate programs related to language in private schools. For further information related to private language programs, you can contact Languages Canada.

Study in French

There are many methods to educate yourself in French all over Canada.

  • French-language education in Canada provides information on various schools as well as institutions providing courses in French.
  • The Association des universités de la francophonie canadienne provides complete information related to university programs in French, English, or both.

Designated learning institutions

Provinces as well as territories approve schools for enrolling international students. These schools are called designated learning institutions (DLI).

If you require a study permit, your acceptance letter needs to be from DLI. If you do not have this, the acceptance letter will be rejected. So please be thorough in guidelines when it comes to schools in Canada for international students. 

All primary as well as secondary schools in Canada are in the list of DLIs. You can go through the list of the post-secondary schools like colleges as well as universities, apart from language schools that are designated.

How to apply in a school?

Once you select a school, college or university, you need to apply to go there. Each school comprises a different set of rules when it comes to application.

Ensure you apply

  • 6 months in advance in case of studies in primary or secondary school
  • 1 year before in case of post-secondary program in a university, college, etc.

You can approach the school where you are interested in studying and learn about the application process. They will provide you with a complete document list that they want from you to send them. They will provide you further information like

  • Application cost
  • tuition fees
  • health insurance
  • Rent as well as cost of stay Canada
  • language tests

You can fill up the application forms for different schools of your desire. Abide by the instructions before you submit them.

If the school gives admission to you as a student, you will get an acceptance letter. You require this letter for a study permit.

Health insurance

The Canadian government does not provide medical costs to foreign students. Health coverage related to foreign students differs from one province to another.

Contact the schools in Canada for international students to get further information about medical coverage as well as health insurance.

Leave a Reply