Credit courses for International Students in Canada

[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ admin_label=”section” _builder_version=”4.16″ global_colors_info=”{}”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row” _builder_version=”4.16″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat” global_colors_info=”{}”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”4.16″ custom_padding=”|||” global_colors_info=”{}” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” _builder_version=”4.20.2″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat” global_colors_info=”{}”]

Credit courses: According to reports from the Canadian Bureau of International Education, there are more than 494,000 international students at different levels of education in Canadian schools. Canada is the fourth most popular place for international students to go to college after the United States, the United Kingdom, and China. This shows how attractive Canada is as a place to study.




The main reason for the growth is that international students have become more interested in taking Credit courses in Canada over the past few years. The Credit course length, the fact that the curriculum is focused on jobs, the low cost of tuition, the less strict entrance requirements, and the friendly immigration policies make these Credit courses more appealing.




What are the different kinds of Credit courses in Canada?



In Canada, Credit courses come in the form of Diploma and Certificate courses that focus on a specific area of study and aim to prepare students for the job market. The main difference between these two is how long they take and how much they cover.




A one-year certificate course is shorter than a two- or three-year diploma program. Some colleges in Canada also offer certificate programs that last for six months.




Colleges in Canada offer both undergraduate and graduate diploma and certificate programs:




1. Post-secondary diploma/certificate: Students can apply for a post-secondary diploma/certificate course after high school. At the high school level, some courses lead to a certification. Most diploma courses take two years to finish. Depending on the program and the college that offers the course, it could take up to three or four years.




2. Post-graduate diploma/certificate: These courses are extensions of undergraduate programs meant to add value to a bachelor’s degree. In Canada, a post-graduate diploma that takes two to three semesters can be finished in a year.




Degree Programs vs. Credit courses (Diplomas & Certificates)



There are pros and cons to both Diploma/Certificate courses and Degree programs in Canada. So which should you choose? We have drawn a comparison to help you decide.




Credit courses can be finished in two years, but some engineering courses can take up to three years to complete. In Canada, an undergraduate degree might take anywhere from three to four years to complete.




Curriculum: Credit courses are geared toward getting a job and include more training and hands-on work, while degree programs teach more about the subject matter.




Cost: It costs more to attend programs that lead to a degree. A year of tuition for an undergraduate degree costs between $18,000 and CAD 20,000. Credit courses are much cheaper, with education starting at just CAD 2,000 per year.




Validity: A Canadian degree is recognized all over the world. Credit courses, however, are not very useful in other places.




Visas and Residency: According to Canada’s immigration policies, you can get a study permit to take any course in Canada. But a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is only given to people taking courses that last eight months or longer.




If you are smart and have enough time and money, Canada has a lot of degree programs for you to choose from. But students who want to stay in the country longer and get a good-paying job but don’t have a lot of time or money can look into Credit courses.




How to get into a Canada-based Credit course



• Academic Transcripts




Most colleges require a transcript from the last four years of high school to let people in with a high school diploma or certificate. For a post-graduate diploma or certificate, you need a bachelor’s degree.




Transcripts should be written in English and be original. Some colleges will also accept certified copies of the original transcripts when you apply, even though the originals are given when you enroll. Depending on the college’s needs, transcripts can be sent electronically or by mail.




• Birth Certificate and Parental Consent




Vocational colleges, especially CEGEPs, ask for a birth certificate. Also, students whose birth certificates say they are under 18 years old must submit a form or application from their parents to study in Canada.




• Language Proficiency




Students who don’t come from English-speaking countries must show that they know how to speak English by taking one of the following tests and sending in their scores:












3. PTE








Colleges with French programs, especially CEGEPs, have requirements for students not from a French-speaking country about how well they know French. One of the following certificates can be used to prove it:




1. Bright




2. TCF to the people




3. DELF is everyone’s level 2








5. TEF




Several colleges offer classes in both English and French. In this case, the French or English test score can be used as proof of language skills.




• Documents for immigration




You need a study permit if you want to take a diploma or certificate course in Canada that lasts longer than six months. A temporary visa can also be used for courses that last less than six months.




To apply for a study permit, you need the following:




1. A temporary resident visa/travel document




2. Current passport




3. Acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institute (DSI)







How do I get into a university or college in Canada?




By sending in all the required paperwork and completing other required steps online. You will also get the answer in the mail.




How long is it going to take for a Canadian student visa or study permit?




There are different times for processing. It depends on what application you send in and where it is processed.




Can I work in Canada while I’m doing a credit course?




You can only work in Canada as a student if you have a work permit. Without a work permit, international students can only work on campus.




If I want to study in Canada, do I need health insurance?




As international students in Canada, they all have to have some health insurance.




Can I work in Canada without a work permit while doing a credit course?




When it comes to international students, Canada is pretty open with them. Some small jobs don’t require a work permit but pay very little that students can do while studying.




You Can Read Also:




Seven Benefits of Private School Education
Why Does My Child Need An OSSD?
What does a Secondary School Diploma mean in Canada?




Leave a Reply